Fuse Board Replacement Due to Burning Smell

Burning smell reported from consumer unit which resulted in fuse board replacement

We received a call from a client regarding a rather peculiar smell from a consumer unit and that it was tripping intermittently. Our office staff members acted very quickly to book in an appointment for this. Burning smells are never a good sign and can be very dangerous. They confirmed with the client the best suitable time slot and assigned a repair engineer to look at the possibility of fuse board replacement.

Our engineer arrived on site and clarified what the issue was, he then isolated the consumer unit safely and removed the cover to inspect the damage to the consumer unit. What he found was beyond a repair, the consumer unit buzz bar had completely melted, it was a very big fire risk, the engineer then sent the photos to our senior electrician and called him to make him aware of the situation on site.

Our senior electrician then spoke to the client and explained that the normal procedure for this would be to shut down and lock off the supply until the consumer unit could be replaced. Our engineer was scheduled in to carry out a repair and did not have the allocated time for a fuse board replacement at the visit. However Raymond kindly agreed to the fuse board replacement and work on late to complete the rest of his tasks for the working day. This was great because it meant that the client wasn’t having to take time from their busy schedule to arrange another appointment, and of course more importantly the property would be safe and fit for continued use.

Fuse Board Replacement Carried Out

We fitted a Metal 6-way split load RCD consumer unit as per the guidelines in the BS 7671 Standards and for fire ratings, this provided all the circuits with additional protection by means of an RCD ensuring safety. Once we completed the installation we tested all the circuits for suitability and ensured that they were all supplied from the correct sized overcurrent protective device and that they all tripped the protecting RCD within the times allowed in the BS 7671 Standards.

Overall the client was delighted, his installation was safe for continued use. Most importantly this avoided a potential disaster from happening at the property. If you are concerned about any burning smells near any electrical points of consumer units contact us immediately for help.

WANT TO TALK WITH US?

Testing, installations or advice…why not give us a call?

Contact Us

What People Say About Us

195 Reviews

241 Reviews

32 Reviews

"Prompt, efficient service with work carried out to a high standard and all done on schedule. Good to have a company like this to deal with the electrical side of a rented property. No qualms on recommending."

Jim Milne

"I had a really good experience with ideal electrical solutions. They were very quick to attend the flat to carry out PAT testing and an EICR. They liaised politely with my tenant and took the hassle of arranging access away from me. For this piece of work the price was right and the service was great. Thank you."

Anna Crampin

"This was my first time using Ideal Electrical Solutions for a Landlord's electrical safety certificate and I found them courteous and helpful, arriving on time and dealing with the work efficiently. I will certainly use them again."

Ian Forder

Awards & Nominations

Accreditations