Created on Thursday, 07 November 2013 23:26
Written by IES Edinburgh
What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a killer. It’s a toxic gas that has no colour, taste or smell – it’s impossible for human senses to tell that it’s there. Exposure to low levels of Carbon Monoxide can lead to headaches and nausea. High levels can cause death within minutes.
The only way to protect against CO is to fit a CO alarm. CO can be produced by any fuel-burning appliance, such as a boiler, gas fire, gas cooker or wood burning stove. Even if an appliance is serviced regularly, faults can still develop in the flue or in between services.